HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!

HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!
Summer Camp Team!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Todd: Volume 1

Ok, so I’ve been instructed by “Mother Megan” to post something in this blog so here is the situation as I see it. I arrived at camp for the last day only both kids and staff absolutely love Megan and Jen, the two are a great team complimenting each other. Jim of course is Jim, he is the supreme preacher in hearts and minds of all in Tambov. Without giving him a big head I think we can all agree that he has a great gift in sharing God’s word and that is just as strong here in Russia as it is in Boise.
As others will be blogging on the ministry topics I’ll just say that the churches in Tambov are working very hard and have developed their ministry to levels far exceeding what I would have thought possible when Antioch was just getting started here. The Christmas outreach is growing by leaps and bounds as well. The events we have attended so far are very well done and very well attended. Those who support this ministry in any way can be thankful for how God is blessing that support.
Now, lets talk about this team. As I mentioned I arrived late so Jim, Jen, and Megan were already well into the bonding that occurs when a small group shares a unique experience like a mission trip. The team has had many laughs and many tears all wrapped up in events that happen rapid fire to the point of confusing what day any given situation actually happened. Gratefully the three original members have quickly integrated me as one of them. Megan carries the load when it comes to comic relief, some of you may know how she can find the fun in any situation. For example the occasional verbal or visual instance that may take her mind off track followed by laughter that brings everyone in. I’ll leave the exact distractions to your imagination. There has also been a lack of showering that has been the source of some fun, no shower buddy at camp so no shower, or possibly the toothbrush on the train story or the fashion statement of long dress and slippers to church tonight, or even the joy that comes from simply being out with people. All joking aside Megan is a tremendous asset to this team and she is so well liked by all.
Jen, the craft queen. Jen is the prayer warrior she, by example keeps us grounded. Getting to know Jen through our conversations has been a highlight for me so far on the trip. It’s funny how this is someone I’ve attended church with for probably 10 years and I really didn’t know, but just a few hours of sharing as a group and we know more about every team member than ever before. Jen also has offered some very funny personal commentaries, but again I’ll leave the details of those for later.
Me, I think I’m here just for the others to laugh at, for example when I fell asleep in Jim’s sermon at camp. Speaking of sleep depravation I was dozing at church today and noticed Megan holding the camera pointed at me trying to photograph the sleeping in church.
Future blogs will be more focused on the events and ministry but you first have to get a feel for the team dynamic and it is dynamic. Many laughs, much work and personal growth going on for all of us. What a joy to be serving in Russia again.

1 comment:

  1. Todd, you hit on the exact same feelings I had last year when serving with small, close knit team. It was new experience for me and what a great privelage and joy to serve closely, half a globe away, with people from your own church! Hang in there buddy, you only have a few more days of "mothering"! Although, it's bound to get worse before it gets better.

    ReplyDelete