HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!

HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!
Summer Camp Team!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Broken

I’m sitting here……with orders from “headquarters” (you all KNOW who I’m talking about) to BLOG. Todd is directly in front of me (sitting on our couch) and Megan has just proceeded to wander over to him to check HIS screen she has given him similar instructions and now she is following up to make sure he is on task instead of answering one of his several hundred messages in his INBOX. What do I say….what do I tell you all….what information would you like reported? Well, let me tell you this……IT’S JUST NOT THE SAME.

Last year was such an intense experience for me that the challenge for this year rests somewhere within the realm of “expectations”. I’m going to be honest…..don’t judge me! I returned to Russia feeling like I had accomplished something of worth last year….forged bonds with people that I hoped to see again and can I tell you….I was surprised by the initial reaction……expectations.

So………………here is my report! I hope you all find some value in it…may it find you all well and resting in the peace the only Jesus Christ gives.

We arrived in Russia, we took the train (without incident Larry….NO STRANGERS for this girl IN THE NIGHT)----Jim practically stamped cabin 5 on my forehead!

The minute we set foot on Tambov soil…..everything changed! It continues to change every minute, every hour, of every day. One of the highlights of this trip was a visit to Jar Pizza…..SWEET….totally scored a “fist pump” on that one. Where in Boise can you order a cappuccino, veggie tray, pizza, fruit tray, soup, salad and ice cream I ask????? AWESOME!!!!

Change of plans…..no…..you will not relax after your 40 + solid hours of travel you will get your butts back into the car and get to CAMP! So, off we go……..2 more hours in a little green car, down a bumpy highway, where I caught such serious air in the back seat that I promptly BUCKLED UP in order to avoid a neck injury.

Well, we did arrive safely thanks to our fantastic American driver Jenni. This girl is AMAZING!!! Wow!! You cannot help but know that she has been called by the Master to this mission field and I have seen with my own eyes now how faithfully and effectively she serves. If you are among those who support her....know that the sacrifice you make to help her is well worth its weight in GOLD. The relationships she has forged with these campers and her ability to communicate with them simply amazes me! If you want the details we'll have to chat later.....or better yet.....come to Russia and see it for yourself!

How does one condense these past days.....best if I highlight.....
1.) A black cat! I am incredibly allergic to cats. I popped Zytec, prayed my BUTT OFF and huffed Albuterol trying simply to breath--funny oxygen is pretty important! Thank you LORD for HELPING ME!!!! You knew all along that Satan would show up to alarm and discourage me. My fellow teamates had my 6:00 the entire time...eventually satan was locked away somewhere else (heeheehee)...so sorry to you cat lovers out there....just simply not a fan!

2.) A sweet mattress! I dubbed it my metal hammock, well, because...yes it was METAL but it had the added benefit of a slight lift on both ends...super special to try and sleep on/in??? People my hips are BROKEN and my back is killing me! The last night of camp I cried out in pain as I tried to turn over on my side....BROKEN!!!!!! Megan offered to trade beds with me....yes (another FIST PUMP earned)....I drug my BROKEN self over and dropped down onto her wooden platform adorned with disgusting mattress (eweeee!!!!)people it was beautiful (at this point it felt like a featherbed...my standards being quite low at the moment) until I started wheezing and yes.....UP ALL NIGHT having an allergic reactions to SOMETHING...probably everything at this point. But, nevertheless, God is good! My friend was UP ALL NIGHT TOO...she was rolled into a ball, freezing cold on my metal bed without the willpower to get up and close the window that we had been leaving open every hour, every day, and every night so that I might obtain that SWEET OXYGEN I spoke of earlier! Good company Megan is! A ready laugh in times of hardship! I can't tell you how many times we have laughed ourselves stupid on this trip!

3.) Community SHOWERS!!!! This was a special treat. Nope, I will not elaborate!

4.) The camp building.....hmmmmmm.....it needs work. Vadim asked us at breakfast what we thought of having camp at TCC verses Truth Church. I preferred the church for purely selfish reasons. At Truth Church....I had a room away from all the noise and bustle to sit down and do crafts with campers. Yah, uh....NO...imagine this if you will....music playing constantly at a level that one might expect at any moment to rupture an ear drum....then, imagine trying to talk to people while you sit and do something that is suppose to be QUIET, RESTFUL, and encourage people to open up because their hands are busy doing something that distracts them from the discomfort of STARTING a conversation, add in a language barrier....RIGHT!.....expectations! But God is good, this is an opportunity to see what God wills for this place...much as I've said needs to be done....consider praying about the opportunities for growth this place might afford if the Russians were able to fund its completion.

This is not all I have to say but Jim has just rushed in to warn us that "we" are burning up our time quickly and and he is on the phone....que....get off....SEE YA! More to come! JEN

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see I am not the only one Megan mothers!!:) Well into my 30's and I am still being bossed! LOL! All joking aside, I have really been enjoying all the posts and am always checking for updates! Too funny, my humor for the day. I am in awe at how God is using each one of you, and has His hand in every single detail! Continually praying!
    Amanda
    P.S. Todd, BTW, those are not slippers, clogs!! Totally appropriate with a dress.......well, sort of!!:)
    P.S.S. Camryn is wathching me blog, and just said there is my favorite Auntie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd would like to challenge your protest, Amanda. He says Jen wore clogs, and he still defines my shoes as slippers! But you are my witness that I bought them in the SHOE section! (which is where Todd says they sell slippers) :) ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree they look more like a pair of slippers, but when is the last time you saw some with a 2 inch sole!! Ha Ha Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...so Todd is now a fashion guru? Men only have two pair of shoes anyway. one brown and one black. Take my word for it...I'm the shoe queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proud of you Jen for gutting it out at camp. As Vadim often quips, "you can now tell your friends you suffered for Christ." Ha! The car ride sounded about par for the course as well. I know I contemplated putting my seat belt on many times (had there been one), but then I reconsidered and thought it might be better to be ejected and possibly thrown clear of the accident rather than maimed beyond recognition. Question...does Jenni drive like a Russian?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprise!!! The major blogger( not ) has come on line." mother megan" , that would seem to bring the excitement level up. Well mother megan, I sure did recognize my little friend from last year. I hope that you gave him a hug for me. A great picture with all of those valuable souls. Keep giving the good news,sewing the seeds of salvation, the rewards are many. Mother megan found chocolate!. what a surprise is that. Glad you are along to help poor little Jen. Now Jen is the Queen of craft, it must be tough being the Queen of at least two areas. " ITS JUST NOT THE SAME". I can see why . You started your trip with a rather boring train ride. Pretty selfish, no entertainment for your team partners. I will give you an A+ for learning from last year. Got to love those allergies. I can say the albuterol is a life saver when we need it.I loved the mattress room, good times. By the way has your scalp started to itch. Don't give it a thought. This bed thing is too much. Mom I can't sleep comfortably, will you trade? Now was it mother megan or martyr megan or was it martyr mother megan? anyway nice job Megan. I will be waiting to hear about the elaboration on the shower. Wow I have over done it. How the time does fly. You all have a great day and keep looking up.
    I love ya all.

    T.T.F.N.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete