HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!

HBC Summer Missions Team in Russia!
Summer Camp Team!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Prayer Requests from Jim


Three requests for you:

First, a member of our coalition is going through tough days. Karen Hayden, wife of Roger Hayden who pastors Cambridge Bible Church is apparently going to be with the Lord within days. The cancer for which she had surgery this fall is very aggressive and could not be completely removed. She has turned for the worse in the last 24 hours. Roger wrote: “She is very weak now. We expect without direct intervention by the Lord that Karen would be called to her heavenly home before many more days have passed. We are at peace about this knowing that we've done everything possible in the Lord's leading in providing for her health and comfort.” Please pray for our dear friends and co-laborers for Christ.

Second, praise God for two good days of class so far. We’ve been discussing serious matters of ministry and how to apply God’s word in tough situations. Please pray I will have wisdom to lead the studies through Titus and that God will continue to make our fellowship and partnership deeper and mutually helpful.

Third, please pray for me. A trip to the store was cut short when I slipped and fell on the ice as we left church. I landed directly on my left shoulder. So far I can barely move it and cannot lift my arm. One of the sisters at church crafted a sling from a piece of cloth and Misha filled a plastic bag with ice he harvested from outside so I can do basic first aid. I’m waiting for a visit from missionary Becky Garrison (a nurse) and from Jenni (who is in charge of caring for Americans). Please pray for pain relief and that I will not have to seek medical treatment here. I would rather not get entangled in the Russian health care system.

Thank you for praying . . . wish I could be more entertaining this time. The photo is sister Raisa (rah-EES-ah), one of the ladies who rotates with several others to spend 24 at a time as the church hostess and guard. This is one of her two days this week to be on duty. She is about 80 years old, widowed for 10 years and a believer for 15 years. She has 2 children, 11 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. It;s impossible for Raisa not smile any time you talk to her. She’s holding a box of Marsha’s toffee I gave her in thanks for all she does. I have spent time with her on all 7 of my trips here. The picture was before my crash. Too bad there isn’t a video.

–Jim

3 comments:

  1. Jim.....do you have Ibuprofen/Advil???? Have you taken any? If not.....take 800mg now then 600mg in 6 hours.....just make sure you don't go over 3000mg in a day and drink lots of water.....Ibuprofen is hard on you kidneys! If you don't have any send someone out for it. I'm glad to hear Becky is coming.....she is a good nurse and I'm sure she will take excellent care of you and make the right recommendations. I got a first hand view of her skills at camp.....she is careful/conservative/trustworthy--follow her advice. I'll be in prayer for you. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, my dad says to hurry home so he'll have a chance at beating you on the golf course while your arm is hurt. :)

    We're praying for speedy healing!

    Todd, good job, you've almost completed your 3 Blog Assignment!

    It's such a joy to be able to hear about the remaining days of the trip!
    --Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you. Advil is flowing, plus Becky gave me a lidocain patch for overnight. It's about ready to come of, along with about half acre of precious shoulder hair.
    As for golf, I don't think your dad can beat me because right now I couldn't even think of holding a club to give him the chance:)

    ReplyDelete